If you are wondering when and why you need hydration this summer, you’ve come to the right place.
ZeroWater is here to explore all the activities that can be enhanced by hydration, to ensure dehydration doesn’t ruin your summer fun!
So if you are planning on travelling, lounging at the beach, hosting boozy BBQs, hiking, camping or participating in team sports this summer – this article is for you!
With our handy hydration hacks, you can guarantee your families health and hydration this summer!
What Summer Activities can be Enhanced by Hydration?
First up, travelling!
Hydration is a crucial travelling companion this summer:
- Air travel can severely dehydrate you, so if you are traveling by airplane, you need to pay close attention to your hydration levels. Moreover, the dehydration effects will make your jet lag feel even worse!
- You could suffer from a heat stroke if you do not drink enough water while walking around and travelling in the sun this summer. Try to keep your body’s hydration levels high it will prevent heat strokes and helps to maintain and regulate your body’s temperature.
- Effective hydration keeps you healthy! A good level of hydration prevents illnesses and flushes out many toxins! In order for your kidneys to function properly and to remove waste from your body naturally, you need to keep yourself well hydrated. Moreover, if your body is properly hydrated it can restore nutrients quicker, consequently preventing illnesses.
- When you do lots of walking around while you travel you need to stay hydrated so that your body can maintain the energy and water levels it needs to function effectively. It is easy to forget to drink enough water if you are sitting on a coach, train or bus for long hours, but it is important that your body gets enough water even while it is staying still.
- Being well-hydrated also improves sleep quality, energy levels, cognition, and your overall mood. Traveling is really fun but also extremely tiring. Moving from time zone to time zone can confused your body’s internal clock. If you are constantly changing modes of travel or walking for extended periods of time this can also sap you of energy. Therefore, in order to enjoy your travels, you need to stay well-hydrated to ensure your body and mind are rested and functioning to the best of their abilities!
Hydration is Crucial when Lounging at the Beach or by the Pool
When lounging in the heat at the beach or by the pool dehydration can creep up on you all too easily. After all, when you’re relaxing it’s easy to forget to drink the correct amount of water. Therefore, we have compiled a list of handy hydration hacks to help you out as you vibe in the sun this summer:
- If you don’t like the taste of plain water, try adding a slice of lemon or lime to your water. This will improve the taste so you will be more likely to drink more water!
- Avoid sugary drinks such as Cola, Sprite, Fanta will not keep you hydrated. Walter Willett, professor of nutrition at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health stated in a 2017 CNN article that we are “mal-hydrated, because we drink so much soda and fruit juice and other sugar-sweetened beverages, and by that I mean we drink beverages that harm our health.”
- When you’re feeling hungry, drink water. Thirst is often confused with hunger.
- Make sure you take enough water with you for your daytime beach adventures. Pack many bottles of water for your family and everyone can carry one. You don’t want to get caught short of water when your family is hot, tired and thirsty.
- Drink water consistently throughout the day.
- If you have trouble remembering to drink water, drink on a schedule. Drink water when you wake up, at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and when you go to bed. Alternatively, you could drink a small glass of water at the beginning of each hour.
Ensure You Stay Hydrated while Enjoying a Bottomless Brunch or Boozy Picnic this Summer
We all enjoy an alcoholic beverage in the summer time; from Pimm’s to sangria, from pina coladas to a can of beer, a cold alcoholic drink is a summer staple.
But alcohol can severely dehydrate you, therefore to ensure you can fully enjoy your bottomless brunch or boozy picnic, we suggest you drink a glass of water in between each alcoholic drink.
ZeroWater’s wide variety of jugs from a 7 ZeroWater 7 CUP – 1.7L JUG (£24.99) to a ZeroWater 20 Cup – 4.7L JUG (£39.99) are absolutely perfect for keeping your family and guests hydrated during your summer social events such as picnics, dinner parties, garden parties or bbqs.
You don’t want to experience the distressing symptoms of dehydration while you’re having fun in the sun with your friends, such as:
- Dry mouth
- Sleepiness or fatigue
- Extreme thirst
- Dizziness or light-headedness
To avoid dehydration when enjoying alcoholic beverages this summer, make sure you have regular sips of water and you’ll be A okay!
Whether you are hiking, camping or a bit of both this summer, you will be spending lots of time outside in the sun. Therefore, drinking enough water is an absolute must to make sure you get the most from your outdoor adventure. Rule number one of outdoor activities – be prepared. So, make sure you pack enough bottles of water and drink up regularly throughout the day!
You don’t want heatstroke to spoil a perfect sunny day!
When you’re out and about on summer adventures camping or hiking it’s tempting to just buy single use plastic bottles as and when you are thirsty. But this is not only wasteful but expensive.
Instead, save your money and help save the planet by refilling your own water bottle. Having your refillable bottle with you will make it easier to hydrate when out and about this summer. All you will need is an occasional stop at a water fountain to refill!
Team Sports are a Great Way to Stay in Shape this Summer but You MUST Hydrate!
Outdoor activity and sports clubs for adults and children alike is a great way to put the fun into fitness – but it requires paying special attention to hydration.
As Brittany Wehrle, a performance dietitian with the Children’s Health℠ Andrews Institute Sports Performance powered by EXOS states: “Staying hydrated increases energy, improves movement, recovery and agility, thermoregulation, and aids in mental clarity and activity – all of which can improve physical performance and reduce the risk of injuries.”
When it’s warm, your body sweats more to help you cool down. And depending on the temperature, humidity, and the nature of your activity, you might not even realize how much you are perspiring.
- Before: A good guideline to use when preparing for a sports workout, whether it’s tennis, football, rugby or badminton is to drink about two cups of fluid two hours before the activity. That helps make sure you are well-hydrated before you ever go outdoors.
- During: Then, during the activity, try to drink 4-6 ounces every 15-20 minutes to keep your muscles well-hydrated.
- After: Once all the hard work is over, no doubt you’ll be ready for something to drink. Not only will this be refreshing, but it will also restore your fluid levels and help your muscles to recover. The sooner you start to replace the fluid, the sooner you’ll recover.
You may be asking yourself how will a ZeroWater filter keep me hydrated this summer?
To that we say, the filtering process makes your water taste much better and you are more likely to drink more water and be more hydrated if you own a water filter, as your water will be pure tasting and delicious.
In fact, filtered water is safer than non-filtered water, as water filter’s guarantee to drastically decrease the number of harmful contaminants in YOUR tap water.
When tested in accordance with the NSF’s protocol based on a 40 gallon filtration (double the rated usage), ZeroWater reduces 97% of Lead and 99.9% of Chromium from tap water. They are also third party tested to reduce 96% of Mercury, 93% of Arsenic and 99% of Copper, among many, many other contaminants! Therefore, you will not only be hydrated but healthier as you will be protected from harmful contaminants in your tap water.
Furthermore, filtered water is free from microplastics! Research has revealed that those drinking unfiltered water consume a credit cards worth of plastic a week! So, to protect yourself and your children from ingesting detrimental microplastics, you should arm yourself with our Premium 5 Stage Ion Exchange water filter!
Our 5-stage filter system is guaranteed to outperform any other simplistic 2 stage filter such as Brita filters. 2 stage filters only remove around half of all the dissolved solids in your water. Therefore, the taste will not be as pure, and you will be less hydrated as well as more at risk from harmful contaminants.