Do you feel like when and why you should replace your water filter is a confusing mystery?
It is in fact crucial that you replace your water filter often in order to ensure you keep drinking the purest tasting, cleanest water possible.
We at ZeroWater want to explain when and why you should replace your water filter.
First of all, have You ever wondered how Your Water Filter works?
If you want to learn in depth details about the different forms of water filtration technology, you can visit our previous news article. This article answers common questions surrounding water filters, such as outlining in detail the common types of water filters and how they work.
But, to summarise, there are 3 main types of water filter technology:
- Activated Carbon filters – the most commonly used household water filters. By using charcoal (a very porous form of Carbon), larger particles, sediment, Lead and Chlorine is removed from the water. This type of filter is however very vulnerable to limescale and can be easily clogged over time and thus needs constant replacing.
- Reverse Osmosis – removes contaminants by using water pressure to force tap water through a semipermeable membrane in order to remove contaminants such as Lead, Mercury and Iron. This kind of filter uses lots of electricity, and will therefore make your electricity bill more expensive.
- Ion Exchange – serves to soften hard tap water (water that contains a large amount of calcium and magnesium) and thus reduces the amount of scale. Ion Exchange removes contaminants based on their ionic charges, and leaves you with softer, better tasting water. However, this kind of filter will need replacing often.
The most effective water filters usually combine 2 or more of these techniques in order to remove as many contaminants as possible.
Overall, no matter what kind of water filter you own, the filter will need to be replaced often in order to keep the quality and taste of your water the best it can be.
A water filter works much like a lint tray in your washing machine – it collects all of the extra detritus and debris from your water. The lint collector pulls out the lint and dirt in order to ensure your clothes are properly and thoroughly clean. Similarly, water filters remove contaminants in order to provide your family with healthier and purer tasting water.
But as you need to empty your lint tray regularly to make sure it doesn’t get clogged with lint and grime, you need to do the same with your water filter. The removed contaminants can start to clog up and block your filter, bacteria can start to grow, and thus becoming less effective over time. This will mean you will be drinking less pure, contaminated water unless you replace your water filter.
To prevent your water filter becoming ineffective, ensure that you replace or clean your water filter regularly – i.e. every 40 gallon or 2 months – in order to keep it clean, clear, and providing you with the healthi
est water, contaminant free water.
We at ZeroWater recommend that it is better to replace your filter rather than cleaning as this will definitely ensure that your water is the purest tasting and safest it can possibly be.
However, how often you change your filter also depends on a range of factors such as:
- Water consumption of household – this will depend on the size of your family and how much water each of member of your family uses – the more water used, the quicker your water filter will become clogged.
- Brand/unit of filtration system – some brands and forms of filtration technology are less effective and will last less time and reliable and well made filters such as ZeroWater’s Premium 5-Stage Ion Exchange Water Filtration System.
- Amount of contaminants in your water – if your water source is particularly contaminated with chemicals and sediments, your water filter will be working harder to de-contaminate your water and will need changing quicker than if your water has less contaminants.
- Hardness of water – if your water is hard, your filter will soon become clogged with the Chlorine it has removed from your water.
To be safe, you should change your filter every 2-6 weeks if you:
- Have a large number of people in your house
- Use the filtered water frequently
- Have hard water
- Have medium to heavy sediments.
It’s so easy to forget or ignore that your water filer needs changing so after you change your filter, make sure that your schedule another change in on your calendar in one or two months. It’s worth it for contaminant free, pure tasting, healthy water.
There are so many benefits to owning an effective water filter such as:
- Your health will improved as you will be consuming safe, contaminant free water – liberated from harmful contaminants such as asbestos, mercury or microplastics.
- As your water will be purer tasting you will therefore be more likely to drink more water. Thus you will be more hydrated, energised, clear headed and productive.
- You will save money in the long term on purified bottled water in order to get pure tasting, healthy water.
- You will decrease your plastic footprint as you will no longer need to constantly buy environmentally detrimental single use plastic bottles.
We at ZeroWater have created the most advanced and affordable water filters, to ensure that your get the purest tasting, contaminant free water you deserve.
When tested in accordance with the NSF’s protocol based on a 40 gallon filtration (double the rated usage), ZeroWater reduces 97% of Lead and 99.9% of Chromium from your tap water. They are third party tested to reduce 96% of Mercury, 99% of Uranium, 93% of Arsenic and 99% of Copper, among many other contaminants.
Therefore, our Premium 5-Stage Ion Exchange Water Filtration System provides the purest tasting water for the best value for money. Moreover, our filters are guaranteed to outperform any other simplistic 2 stage filter on the market such as Brita filters.
So if you need to replace your existing water filter or if you want to invest in your first water filter, let ZeroWater be your hydration station!