The beginning of a New Year brings with it promises to make this year better than the last.
Many people set themselves up for failure by trying to take up too many new things or altering their lifestyles in extreme ways, when in fact; small changes can make the biggest difference to your life in 2022.
Below the team at ZeroWater have complied a list of some simple and easy goals for you to keep in 2022 that are guaranteed to improve your mental and physical health this year.
Enjoy The Outdoors
Spending time outdoors is a great way to get active and socialise with friends in a beautiful environment.
Being active outdoors even if its just a short stroll in your local park is great for your physical health!
Moreover, being outside and in nature is also good for your mental health! It can:
- improve your mood
- reduce feelings of stress or anger
- help you take time out and feel more relaxed
- improve your physical health
- improve your confidence and self-esteem
- help you be more active
- help you meet and get to know new people
- connect you to your local community
- reduce loneliness
- help you feel more connected to nature
- provide peer support.
Spending time in nature has been found to help with mental health problems such as anxiety and depression. For example, research into ecotherapy (a type of formal treatment which involves doing activities outside in nature) has shown it can help with mild to moderate depression.
Furthermore, being outside in natural light can be helpful if you experience seasonal affective disorder (SAD), a type of depression that affects people during particular seasons or times of year.
Staying active is typically at the top of everyone’s New Year’s Resolution list, but many people struggle to find a type of exercise they enjoy.
Taking up walking your dog, jogging or running or starting a new gentle workout class like yoga or Pilates will get you more active in 2022.
Why not even set a goal to take a friend along to your local parkrun?
Having a weekly activity that you commit to doing at least once a week will not only act as a natural stress reliever but can help you create a routine that will last through the year.
Being active is so important and here are some useful facts to demonstrate the benefits of being active in 2022.
- coronary heart disease and stroke
- type 2 diabetes
- bowel cancer
- breast cancer in women
- early death
- hip fracture
- falls (among older adults)
To stay healthy, the UK Chief Medical Officers’ Physical Activity Guidelines, on GOV.UK, state that adults should try to be active every day and aim to do at least 150 minutes of physical activity over a week, through a variety of activities.
For most people, the easiest way to get moving is to make activity part of everyday life, like walking for health or cycling instead of using the car to get around. However, the more you do, the better, and taking part in activities such as sports and exercise will make you even healthier.
For any type of activity to benefit your health, you need to be moving quick enough to raise your heart rate, breathe faster and feel warmer.
There are plenty of small changes we can make this year that can radically reduce our plastic waste.
One simple way to live greener is to invest in sustainable and reusable products such as water bottles.
If you are able, why not reduce your fuel consumption by walking, cycling or jogging.
You can check out of previous articles recommending sustainable products you should invest in or changes you can make in your day to day lives to become more eco-friendly.
Taking time away from our handheld devices and screens is an issue that all of us are aware of.
Swap an hour of scrolling through pictures of people having a great time for enjoying some fun activities with friends and family.
Head out for a coffee to a local café, go for a walk or learn a new skill together that you’ll both enjoy!
- Toxic comparison. When it comes to our mental health, constantly being on social media can cause feelings such as depression, loneliness, jealousy, anxiety, and overall dissatisfaction with life. When scrolling through our news feeds, we compare ourselves to others. We also create posts and obsess over how much engagement they receive.
- Living in the present moment. Taking a social media break will allow you to live in the present moment and have meaningful interactions with others.
- Limits distractions. How much have you put off due to being glued to your screen? Unplugging from social media and technology provides you with the opportunity to do the things you’ve been neglecting.
- Allows self-reflection. In order to feel more grounded and at peace, it’s important to check in with yourself regularly. Take some “me time” and reflect on where you are in life and how you’re feeling.
- Improves sleep. A good night’s rest is crucial for both our mental and physical health. The blue light that emits from our devices can have a negative impact on our sleep because the light disrupts our melatonin levels.
Especially after nearly 2 years of Covid-19 many of us are out of practice of socialising so this is your sign to message a friend or call a family member to reconnect and recharge your social batteries!
Staying hydrated is the simplest lifestyle change we can all make to be a little healthier in the New Year.
Fight fatigue, dry skin and recurrent headaches by making sure you drink throughout the day.
Grab a reusable bottle so you can easily top yourself up on the go. We recommend the Hydratem8 water bottle as it reminds you what time to drink a certain amount of water to ensure you drink enough throughout the day. We find that it makes drinking the right amount of water more manageable as it breaks up the amount into smaller, less daunting chunks! And it sustainable and cost effective as you don’t have to constantly fork out for damaging single use plastic water bottles!
Moreover, if you don’t like the taste of plain water, try adding a slice of lemon or lime to your water. This will improve the taste so you will be more likely to drink more water! Or if you have trouble remembering to drink water, drink on a schedule. Drink water when you wake up, at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and when you go to bed.
- When your body is properly hydrated it will restore nutrients quicker, consequently helping to prevent illnesses. Therefore it is best to keep your body as fighting fit as possible by keeping hydrated as the threat of Covid-19 remains prevalent, especially this January with the Omicron variant spreading swiftly leading to a new spike in the virus.
- Hydration boosts your health and immune system and flushes out toxins, as you need to be hydrated for your kidneys to function properly.
- If you’re looking to take up exercising in your commitment to health this January, hydration is crucial in order to ensure you get the most out of your work outs!
- By focusing on hydration you will successfully avoid the trap of winter dehydration, a prevalent issue that many face each winter, as hydration is harder to stay on top of in the colder months. Yet, winter is the period you need to be most hydrated in order to stave off the manifold germs and viruses that run rampant in winter and make you and your family ill!
- Being sufficiently hydrated can make you feel more energised and more focused in 2022.
- Hydration also improves cognition, so by feeling more clear-headed and sharp due to drinking water, your productivity will consequently improve.
- Being well-hydrated improves sleep quality, and as we know, a good night’s sleep is crucial for our mental health! Therefore, to aid your mental health in these trying times, hydration is a quick and easy step in the right direction.
- Drinking the right amount of water has been known to improve mood!
Thus, it is clear that hydration is crucial in taking a step towards being happier and healthier in 2022.
- Filtered water is safer than non-filtered water, as water filter’s drastically decrease the amount of harmful contaminants in YOUR tap water such as lead, copper, asbestos, mercury and To protect your loved ones from these detrimental contaminants you need a water filter in your home.
- Moreover, filtered water is free from microplastics! Research has revealed that those drinking unfiltered water consume a credit cards worth of plastic a week! To ensure that you and your children are not ingesting harmful microplastics, invest in our Premium 5 Stage Ion Exchange water filter!
- You are more likely to drink more water be more hydrated if you own a water filter, as your water will be purer tasting and healthier.
For just £24.99 you can own a cheaper, more efficient and environmentally friendly alternative to bottled water conveniently located within your home.
Choose from our wide range of products the filter that suits you best, to invest in a healthier and happier 2022.
All of our products, jugs, dispensers and bottles use our premium, innovative 5 stage filter system in order to drastically reduce the amount of ‘Total Dissolved Solids’ found in your tap water; thus outperforming all other simplistic 2 stage filters on the market.
Our filters are ‘NSF Certified’ to reduce 97% of Lead and 99.9% of Chromium, and they are third party tested to reduce: 96% of Mercury, 99% of Uranium, 97% of Asbestos, and 93% of Arsenic , among other contaminants.
Take your first step in keeping your 2022 hydration goal by investing in a ZeroWater filter!