Did you know that about 85% of the water that comes out of taps is contaminated? A study by the Environmental Work Group was able to prove this, and it should be a concern for you because drinking water straight out of a tap can lead to long term health issues.
Here are the top 10 contaminants you should be worried about:
- Lead – You have probably heard about the events in Flint, Michigan, but they are not limited to that area alone. Old plumbing is the cause of lead in drinking water and even low doses can be harmful especially to children.
- Chlorine – The debate about chlorine in water is an on-going one, but it is a fact that excess chlorine leads to dry skin and hair which causes dandruff and skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Chloramines – These are formed when chlorine and ammonia come together during the process of disinfecting water and lab tests have shown that they can cause cancer.
- Mercury – Mercury occurs naturally, but in many cases it will get into the water table from factory runoff, pesticides and landfills.
- Volatile organic compounds – VOCS, as they are more commonly known, come from many different gases and when they evaporate and come down in the form of rain they end up in your drinking water.
- Pharmaceuticals – These are more common that many people think, and they end up in water from manufacturing facilities as well as improper disposal of pills.
- Herbicides – These enter the water system from farms and also through rainfall. They can cause many different diseases including cancer.
- Pesticides – These are very common in tap water and they end up there from farms as well as from homes when we wash our vegetables. They are responsible for many different diseases.
- Cysts – These come from septic tanks and feedlots the water disinfection process doesn’t do anything to get rid of them.
- MTBE – This is a compound that is used in gasoline to reduce CO2 and ozone levels in the atmosphere. Unfortunately they end up in the water table through rainfall.
So what can you do about all these contaminants?
A water filter jug is a cheap way to ensure that you all get pure tap or drinking water
When you are shopping for a water filter jug make sure that you buy a brand that actually works – the market is flooded with many that don’t and if you end up with one of these you will end up drinking impure tapwater.
One way to do this is to test the water that it purifies – ask the vendor or retailer to demonstrate it or perform a test before you make the decision to buy. I.e. poor a glass of red wine through the water filter jug and make sure the end result is clean and pure water.
Lastly, make sure that it is a filter that is built to last.
The best advise we can give you is to buy a water filter jug from us or any reputed source or retailer stocking ZeroWater water filter jugs.
You can find out more on their website here: https://zerowater.co.uk/.