Hydration is extremely important for children, especially during the summer holidays when they are more likely to engage in physical activities and spend time outdoors. Here are some reasons why hydration is crucial for children during this time:
- Prevents Dehydration
Children are more susceptible to dehydration than adults because their bodies have a higher water content, higher metabolic needs, higher body surface area relative to their body weight and experience difference in thirst sensitivities. Dehydration can lead to a range of symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, headaches, and decreased cognitive function. Staying properly hydrated helps maintain a healthy fluid balance and prevents dehydration.
- Regulates Body Temperature
When children play or exercise in hot weather, their bodies generate heat, and sweating helps cool them down. However, excessive sweating can lead to fluid loss, increasing the risk of overheating. Drinking an adequate amount of water helps regulate body temperature and prevents heat-related illnesses like heat exhaustion and heatstroke.
- Supports Physical Activity
During the summer holidays, children often engage in various physical activities like sports, swimming, and running around. Staying hydrated ensures that their muscles, joints, and tissues are properly lubricated, enhancing performance and reducing the risk of cramps, fatigue, and injuries.
- Enhances Cognitive Function
Dehydration can negatively impact cognitive abilities, including attention, memory, and concentration. When children are adequately hydrated, their brains function optimally, allowing them to stay focused, retain information, and perform better in academic and recreational activities.
- Promotes Overall Health
Water is essential for the proper functioning of various bodily systems. It helps transport nutrients, flush out waste products, and maintain healthy digestion. Hydration also supports the immune system, preventing common summer ailments like urinary tract infections.
Tips for Ensuring Children Stay Hydrated
- Encourage regular water intake throughout the day, even when they are not thirsty. Remind your child that if they are thirsty, they are already mildly dehydrated, so “think to drink” at regular intervals
- Offer water-rich fruits and vegetables as snacks, such as watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, and oranges.
- Limit sugary drinks and carbonated beverages, as they can contribute to dehydration.
- Set reminders to remind children to drink water regularly. Mobile phone applications such as Plant Nanny can make tracking drinking lots of fun!
- Write positive comments on your child’s water bottle in marker pen. For example, a marker a quarter of the way down their bottle could read, “Great start! Keep going!”, halfway down could read, “Awesome, you’re halfway there!” and near the bottom, “You made it! Hydration Superhero!”. Alternatively, drinking could be made more fun by using colourful cups.
- Monitor their urine colour: Pale yellow urine indicates good hydration, while darker urine may signal dehydration. Teach your child to look out for these signs when they go to the toilet by showing them a urine colour chart.
- Ensure they drink water before, during, and after physical activities.
- Teach children about the importance of hydration.
- Invest in a ZeroWater jug/dispenser for the purest tasting water.
ZeroWater filters have unrivalled filtration power, using an advanced five-stage filtration system. With cutting-edge technology, ZeroWater filter jugs effectively eliminate virtually all dissolved solids, including chlorine, lead, mercury, chromium, and other impurities lurking in your tap water.
With ZeroWater you can say goodbye to unpleasant odours, weird tastes, and unwanted contaminants that may deter your child from drinking water.
Our user-friendly filter jugs are a breeze to set up and maintain.
The filter life indicator lets you know exactly when it’s time for a replacement, so you can always have confidence in the quality of the water you give to your family.
Simply fill, filter, and enjoy!
Invest in ZeroWater today and help keep your child healthy this summer.